29 October 2008

First food foray

10/29/08, 10:30 pm BT
Lesson of the Day: When the closest thing to a full meal you have had in the last three days is Kentucky Fried chicken take-out, do NOT go to a Lebanese restaurant as your first big meal. Unless you are going with at least two other people. Or unless you are willing to waste about ¾ of the meal you pay for. Six – 6!! – cold dishes served with flat bread (each dish – hummus, salads, beets, etc. in bowls the size of soup bowls). Then several (six?) individual hot appetizer bits (think along the lines of pieces as from a pu-pu platter) with dipping sauce, then the actual dinner (urp!)! Three separate meat skewers, plus fries, a bit of salad garnish with greens and sweet red onions, and a light yogurt-garlic sauce for dipping – yum! Then – just to truly pain me – “for the digestion,” a tray filled with incredibly sweet fruits. Strawberries and papaya and watermelon and the largest, sweetest red grapes I’ve ever seen, and the sweetest-tasting cantaloupe… Oh, man…

And more importantly, do not go to said Lebanese restaurant as early as 8 pm, as that is two hours before the evening’s dinner entertainment begins, and at least one hour before any other dinner clients show up. My, how attentive staff and managers are when you are the only customer. I actually learned how to make a couple of the dishes!

And yes, I do know about, and have discussed with students, the earthquake in Pakistan this morning. I was awake at the time of the quake, but didn’t notice it. I guess it didn’t travel our way. Yes, disasters do follow me wherever I go. At least now it’s not personal disasters…

Images of the front entrance to the school, and in case you can’t read it, their slogan… I guess all business schools are at least a little alike!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha you just completely inspired me to go to a Lebanese restaurant!!

GeoGuppy said...

And it gets even better, with the (free!) hotel food... :)