02 November 2008

Monday blahs on Sunday

11/2/08, 4:40 pm BT
Just got back a bit ago from school (workweek starts on Sunday). I stayed ‘till four, and a couple of students stayed for help, one ‘till 3:30. So I didn’t get much work done (the weekend’s lack of work continues!). But I was amazed at how thankful these students were for how long I was willing to stay and help. Seems others of their profs would literally run out of class along with them, and then disappear until next class… Hmmm…
Anyway, I have not much to say today, except that I am sad I missed Halloween. And I will add a few pictures taken during my walk yesterday. The first is looking back at the region of my hotel, and at those two tall curvy towers (Bahrain Financial harbor). They are VERY cool-looking at night, but I don’t think any photo I could take would do them justice – they have neon bars on the horizontal axis of floors on the curvy part that slowly change from purple to red to orange to yellow to green to blue to purple… The light show is really pretty. And this photo shows a rare shot of Manama with N O construction cranes. The second photo is looking forward from basically the same spot. This is more typical of what I see in the city that hasn’t already been built up. If it hasn’t been taken up by a fantastic building, then it will be. These flat dusty spots will at some point become some new architectural wonder. And in the background, the cranes… of course. It is amazing. I was expecting to see some old-world buildings and such, but it is mostly new and shiny and glass-and-metal clad. And dusty.
The final shot is of the Pearl Monument, in the middle of a large roundabout (the main highway is in the background). This – the pearl – is the only natural resource (besides oil) the country is known for. I hear there is a special luster to the pearls here, due to the “sweetwater springs” that gush out beneath the sea water near the oyster beds… Can’t wait to go pearl shopping, and see for myself!
:)

Grr…. First phone call to my hotel room from a student, asking for help on a homework. Yes, I gave them the number. I am SOOO dedicated.

No comments: