31 October 2008

My first real day off starts well






10/31/08, 10:30 am
Happy Halloween!!! (It is Halloween, isn't it?) No jack-o-lanterns for me! But plenty of treats… I finally got to enjoy the free breakfast in the business level lounge this morning – no rushing off to class as this is the weekend (Fri-Sat).
The hotel has its own free lounge, as described in my last post - happy hour drinks from 6-8 pm. Lots of food from the lebanese restaurant - so I didn't have to bother to eat out at all last night, what with those drinks and the appetizers. You'd think the breakfast would just be some continental stuff - but no. I am STUFFED! Bacon, sausage (Muslims don't eat pork, so the bacon was way too cooked, but still good!), eggs (the fake scrambled kind - not great), hash browns, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, smoked salmon, lots of great fresh fruit, pastries, cereals and extras to put in it (dried fruits and nuts), and all the local stuff - hummus, beans, cheeses, olives, etc... And again, all free. Well, I suppose not exactly free, if you think of the room cost (about $250 a night). But hey - being free - I'm happy. (And I could still choose to spend money for food, as I have a company crediit card for that!) So, I am certainly being well cared for! I cannot possibly complain about anything. And the service staff are absolutely superb and very engaging. They are all from India, Pakistan, Nepal, etc., as I hear that Bahrainians would not take such “low-level” jobs. Our gain, I say (although I have no idea what Bahrainians would be like - I still haven't had the opportunity, other than my students!) The staff are unbelievably wonderful – those I spoke with last night were not an oddity. That is the way they all are!

And, as is becoming obvious, I may not need that in-room internet. It turns out that whenever this lounge is open, there are two computers with internet available for use. As long as one is unused, it's available (first come, first served). And the wonderful people will serve me drinks or water or coffee... So, it's even nicer in some ways than at home! (*I* certainly don't have a waiter at home bringing me drinks while I work!)
So, as long as I can get all my internetting done while the lounge is open, I will be okay. The only trouble with that is that right now, it's about 10:30 am here, and I should be outside by the pool getting a tan, or else walking around sightseeing... But I am using the computer (I would rather do the computer work late at night when there's nothing else to do, but I guess I won't complain too much...!)

Oh, yes – this is what the blogger log-in page looks like (fun, huh?):



4 comments:

Earthling said...

Happy Halloween to you! Missing your purple sweater pumpkin butt around the department today!

Kirsten said...

i am a dork.. i just posted a comment on your old entry from 10/29.. so check there.. should have posted it here but i was catching up on all the entries i missed!!
sigh.. anyway, we all miss you stateside and so glad you are enjoying some well deserved luxuries like great free food and drink. Here's wishing you less obnoxious drunk businessmen!
K

Buckle9 said...

Hey, speaking of Halloween. I went out and bought two carnival squashes to carve since the local StopnShop did not have any punkins. After perforating them with holes using my drill and assorted bits, I realized I could not find my candles. There are in one of the various boxes still to be unpacked.
I did however, find two of Anna's Firestarters...

They worked great until the wax melted enough to expose the wood chips. Then, two flaming squashes were produced...looked kinda like smudge pots....

So, the long and short of it...."Anna's Firestarters...good for any occasion"

GeoGuppy said...

Hah!!! You people DO make me laugh!! Kirsten - I already responded to previous. Sorry again about the gold purchase attempts...

Buckle - oh, you ARE funny. Glad you didn't burn your new house down. That's why they are called FIREstarters - not light-starters...

Tried, but there isn't a lot of interest in firestarters in this neck of the woods!